April 09, 2009

Delayed Musings, Pt. 3

I love getting dressed up. More than that, I love getting dressed up for relatively minor events, like a day of shopping in Wicker Park in Chicago.  Casual dressing has taken over modern life, and while I'm all for a great oversized t-shirt and Levi's shorts, I do wish that the average person dressed up more often than special occasions or church on Sundays (though I don't know many people that actually do this).

Perhaps I'm nostalgic for a time that I never experienced; I'm attracted to a time I know through my late grandma's stories.  Even as a young woman, my grandma traveled often.  Most times she told me with a smile and a laugh about the places she'd gone and the things she'd seen, but a few times she talked to me about the mere act of traveling.  (She often told the same stories again and again.) 'In those days,' she said to me, 'people dressed up for the plane. Men wore suits and women wore their best dresses.'  I imagined my grandma wearing a hat and gloves and her best full-skirted dress.  And I imagined the other women looking like Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn.  

It probably wasn't like that, at least not as glamorous as I imagine it, but at least people took a little pride and pleasure in the act of going somewhere.

Nonetheless, it was positively delightful to dress up with Laurel for a day of shopping and cocktails. 
   
Altered peacoat (found at Buffalo Exchange), Vintage 40s tree-print dress, Lulu Guiness bag (borrowed from Laurel)

Vintage 40s tree-print dress, Cloche hat, Retro Anne Klein bow belt, Target tights, Sigerson Morrison for Target heels

Laurel looking lovely in a New Look-esque dress

Laurel's Coclico booties

Another thing, I pined after these Coclico booties last fall.  Then, when Laurel was updating me on all the shoes she'd purchased (read: got on major/awesome discount when she worked at a shoe store), I was instantly jealous and totally thrilled that someone I know owned these beauties.

No comments:

Post a Comment