March 16, 2009

Oh Marc

Fashion week has just come to a close, and I have only had time to behold a small fraction of the F/W 09 collections.  I feel like I am behind, as if I arrived at the party and missed the majority of the action, though was still able to catch a few key moments.  But this deficiency is, in many ways, false.  All the collections are available online, and now I get to enjoy them, leisurely, when I feel like taking a moment away from life and pretending that I can own and wear the best of what I see.  Or, at least admire the art of the clothing.

One of the few collections I have looked at thus far is Louis Vuitton.  The collection as a whole is solid; Marc Jacobs again proves that he can put together beautifully tailored, yet also fresh garments. The details of some of the garments, like the ruffles on the black jacket dress below and the tulip shaped skirts are lovely.  Very polished, yet also youthful.


The leather (?) draped coat below has a Junya Watanabe quality to it, which I think is fantastic.  And the black draped shift with the grey marble patterned boots has an 80s rock vibe; I imagine, if I were wearing this outfit, I would feel like the most badass babe walking down the street.  It oozes that kind of sex appeal.  

Marc Jacobs (like in many of his other collections, both for his own line and for Louis Vuitton) gives us a very 80s-inflected collection overall.  Sometimes, I felt like the influence was too literal, and not quite updated enough.  Too many lace ruffles.  And the way oversized and boxy coats don't do a lot for me.  Every piece did not 'wow,' but there were more than enough that did.


And nothing 'wowed' me more than the thigh-high lace-up boots.  There is no denying the 80s inspiration here, and I'm a bit surprised how much I'm attracted to them since they also reminiscent of gothic wear, but I cannot stop staring at them.  

Photos: style.com

Finally, if you have not seen the documentary, Marc Jacobs & Louis Vuitton, rent it immediately.  I found it fascinating to see how Marc works: he's particular, he's neurotic, he likes to have anything he designs in at least ten different color options, and he works until the last hours before a show.  Plus, you get to look at this beautiful man for an hour and a half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment