March 25, 2009

Off to Paris on the Prairie

Packing, I would like to think, went well, but I won't know until the end of my trip how successfully, or unsuccessfully for that matter, I planned and prioritized my clothing.  I tried to contemplate my trip in terms of outfits: walking/museum-prowling outfits, shopping outfits, 'hanging out' outfits, 'on the town' outfits.  Also, I tried to bring things I could mix and match, because a) layers are always good and b) I'm a realistic woman and I know that I cannot stand prescribed outfits.  I need some spontaneity when dressing in the morning, or evening, whichever the case may be. I need to feel like what I put on fits my mood and attitude for the day.  If I have exactly one outfit per day and only one or two evening ensembles, then I feel trapped.  Perhaps this is the reason I dread packing.  I know this is the reason I over-pack.  Always.

While I may not be great at pack, one thing I have mastered over my years of traveling is dressing for the plane.  Comfort is always a priority when traveling.  But when I say comfort, I do not mean sweatpants.  Traveling is not an excuse to roll out of bed in your pajama pants and call it good, even if you plan on sleeping on the plane.  (not that I believe that there is ever an excuse to step out in pajamas.  If you're awake enough to leave the house, you're awake enough to throw on a real pair of pants.)

I prefer to dress in soft jersey dress or an oversized tee and Levi's shorts (with tights) this time of year.  And I top it off with a cardigan and scarf.  Simple, yet comfortable.  I feel much more at ease crammed into the tiny plane when I'm wearing looser and breathable clothing.  Since I have a love affair with boots, I always travel with at least one pair.  Most of mine are relatively easy to pull off and on (at security), so I save room in my suitcase for more options (i.e. a second pair of boots) by wearing them on the plane.  Also I carry on my bulkiest coat for the same reason.  At least I have something down to a proverbial science.

But no matter, at this point, I must deal with what I brought. (Or buy something new.)

On a final note, on my small joys of traveling is buying fashion magazines that I would normally not purchase at the newsstand.  I always judge an airport bases on two things: 1) food and drink choices and 2) the magazine selection at the newsstands and stores.  All I have to say is that it better have more than just Allure and Cosmo (neither of which I ever really read), and please, current issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment