March 18, 2009

Beautiful Butterfly

One of the many things that I think is important in developing your own fashion sense and style is learning what you like and what you don't, and most importantly, sticking to it.  You don't have to limit yourself to one style or look. (My style is very eclectic; I love fringe and oversized t-shirts, but I also love a great 50s dress.) But don't wear something just because it's 'in.' You won't feel comfortable and confident, and you definitely won't look it. 

With that being said, I love when I spot a garment that shatters my preset notions or when I'm drawn to a garment that incorporates elements that I would normally shy or even shudder away from.  Butterflies are one of these things to me.  For some reason, I cannot wear butterfly patterned things.  It seems too girly to me.  Or perhaps it makes me think of trashy and/or fake girls with lower-back butterfly tattoos.  I don't know, but I know I don't like them.  So, when I saw this retro polyester butterfly open blouse in Buffalo Exchange, I was surprised how much I liked it.  (It probably helps that the butterfly presence is minimal.)  The piece itself is also versatile: it can be worn open, or like a wrap blouse as I wore it today. 

Retro butterfly blouse, H&M skirt, Jeffrey Campbell Frontier boots, Knit hat (found at Buffalo Exchange), thrifted earrings and bangles

The blouse is a pleasant reminder that while you should know what you like, don't be too closed-minded.  I wouldn't have this blouse if I was.

It was a rare, beautiful sunny day today, so I took advantage and went out sans tights! 

No comments:

Post a Comment